When it comes to your finances, a small spark can ignite spectacular results. Even seemingly minor decisions can have long-term benefits, like lighting a fuse on an amazing fireworks display.
1. Put together a realistic budget.Because this task feels like a chore, many people put it off or skip it altogether. But a budget can help you get a handle on spending, saving, and goal setting. You might even find it fun, if it means finally saving for a vacation or a big purchase. This is definitely a small task that can have big results.
2. Plan for retirement now.No matter your age, retirement should be on your mind. A little planning here can definitely go a long way. This is one task you won’t want to ignore.
3. Set goals and explore resources for reaching them.When you’re pondering your financial future, what do your goals look like? Becoming debt free? Retiring before age 60 or opening your own business? No matter what you daydream, goal setting can turn that into reality, especially if you use tools that can help speed the process up.
4. Expand financial education for the whole household.As you learn more about financial success, include other family members in the education, so you can make it a team effort. Financially savvy kids develop better habits as adults, and you can even create a “family savings” account tied to specific goals.
5. Don’t think of “wealth management” as only for the wealthy.Many people take their cars to a mechanic, or their taxes to an accountant, but don’t consider a professional for their finances. Yet a financial advisor can be a huge help when it comes to planning for education, retirement, investments, and other major decisions. Taking the small step of setting up a meeting with a financial advisor can have lasting effects.
By following these five money management tips (or even just one or two of them), you’re likely to ignite some impressive financial fireworks – and these won’t fizzle out anytime soon, either.
What financial move have you made that had a surprisingly big impact? Share it in the comments.
Want more tips on getting better results from your financial choices? Schedule a free Wealth Management consultation at SAC Federal Credit Union.