Mission & History
To be our members' trusted financial partner providing tailored solutions to support them throughout their life events.
Our Proud History
The Credit Union started in November, 1946, when twelve individuals submitted a request to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation to form the SAC Federal Credit Union. The first location of the present SAC Federal Credit Union was Andrews Field, Maryland. From those humble beginnings, the Credit Union has had many milestones in its history. Here are just a few that will show you how we've changed:
- 1948: The name of the Credit Union (C.U.) was changed to the Strategic Air Command Federal Credit Union. However, in 1992, the C.U. reverted back to its original name, the SAC Federal Credit Union.
- 1949: The C.U. moved its office to Offutt Air Force Base, Omaha, Nebraska.
- 1979: The Fort Crook Federal Credit Union, organized in March, 1944, as the Offutt Federal Credit Union, merged with the Strategic Air Command Federal Credit Union.
- 1980: The C.U. moved its Main Office to its present location at 36th Street & Hwy. 370. The C.U. had now expanded to three branches.
- 1989: Total assets of the C.U. were over $100 million for the first time.
- 1993: Conversion to a community field of membership.
- 1997: The Plattsmouth Branch opened.
- 1998: C.U. @ Home Online Account Access was introduced. The Papillion Branch Opened.
- 2000: The Bellevue Branch Opened on Longo Drive.
- 2001: The C.U. increased its community charter to include all of Douglas, Sarpy, and Cass Counties, NE and Pottawattamie County, IA. Total assets reached $200 million.
- 2002: The Ames Branch was opened. The Main Office remodeling was completed.
- 2003: The Millard Branch was opened.
- 2004: The Council Bluffs Branch was opened.
- 2005: The Maple Branch was opened, marking the C.U.'s tenth location. Business loans & services were added.
- 2006: The new Offutt Branch was opened. President Jim Guretzky announced his retirement plans. SAC Federal Credit Union celebrated 60 years of service.
- 2007: The Board of Directors announced Gail DeBoer as President of SAC Federal Credit Union. The Shadow Lake Branch opened inside Hy-Vee at Shadow Lake Towne Center in Papillion. The South Omaha Branch opened at 24th & L Street.
- 2008: SAC FCU opened three new in-store locations: Council Bluffs Super Saver, Millard Super Saver, and Midtown Hy-Vee.
- 2009: The Credit Union added its Culture Development department. The rebranding of SAC FCU's logo was introduced.
- 2010: The Stony Brook Hy-Vee Branch, Lake Manawa Wal-Mart Branch, 31st & Ames Branch, and Gretna Wal-Mart Branch were opened. Leo A Daly received a 2010 AIA Nebraska Design Award for the 31st & Ames Branch.
- 2011: SAC Federal Credit Union celebrates 65 years. The Credit Union increased its charter to include Washington and Saunders Counties, NE and Mills and Harrison Counties, IA, in addition to Douglas, Sarpy, and Cass Counties, NE and Pottawattamie County, IA.
- 2012: Blair No Frills Branch was opened. Ground was broken for the new corporate headquarters at 72nd Street & Highway 370 in Papillion.
During those years, the Credit Union systematically added new products and services to meet the changing needs of its membership: Share Drafts, Money Market Account, Advantage Club (for those over 50), ATM and Debit/Check Cards, ATMs Machines, First Mortgage Loans, C.U. By Phone (account access by touch-tone phone), Home Equity Loans, Credit Cards, Indirect Auto Lending, The Dollar Dog Kids' Club (our youth saver's club), C. U.@College (our college student checking account), C.U.@Home (account access by computer with FREE Bill Pay) and eStatements.
Today, SAC Federal Credit Union is the largest locally-owned financial institution in Sarpy County. We provide services to members through our 21 locations, many ATM locations, CU By Phone, and CU@Home. We're accessible and responsive to member needs.